Monday, February 13, 2012

Favorite Books

We've been couch-ridden again... it seems like at least one person in our family has been sick pretty non-stop for the last two months.  It's hard to say whether it's allergies, or the cold virus that just won't. go. away.  Jace has been coughing and congested for a few weeks now on and off... and on top of our allergies, I think Tate and I both are fighting a virus too.  The only good thing that comes out of feeling run down, is having to force yourself take it easy.  Last night Jace and I must have read 30 books in a row, just laying on the couch.  He's getting to the age where he really likes to participate in reading along, and definitely has favorite books he wants to read over and over.  I'm always interested to know what kids books other parents recommend so I thought I'd list some of Jace's current favorite books. 

Here are some of Jace's current favorites:



1. The Pout-Pout Fish - Deborah Diesen.  This is a new favorite, since I just picked it up at the thrift store last week.  I love this book as much as Jace does... it's silly and repetative, so Jace can participate in "reading" from memory. 

2. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - Numeroff/Bond.  A classic I suppose... but Jace begs to read this one over and over again.

3. From Kalamazoo to Timbuktu - Harriet Ziefert.  I think Jace likes this book soley because he likes saying "Timbuktu" over and over.  :)

4. Richard Scarry's Best Counting Book Ever.  No seriously the title says it all... this is a great big book full of counting.  It's great to grow into too, because it counts all the way up to 100 as the pages go on.  We usually stop at twenty for now.

5. There's a Wocket in my Pocket- Dr. Suess.  A silly classic, but Jace gets a kick out of the rhyming and the little creatures hiding on every page.

6.  It's Not Easy Being a Bunny - Marilyn Sadler.  I remember reading this one as a kid.  Jace thinks "PJ Funnybunny" is hilarious, and so are his experiences trying to become something other than a bunny.

7. Kitten's First Full Moon -  Kevin Henkes.  This one was gifted to Jace for his birthday.  I had never heard of it but it's a cute and simple black and white picture book about a kitten who thinks the moon is a little bowl of milk in the sky and is trying to get to it.

8. I Am Helping - Mercer Mayer.  We have a few other little critter books, but this one seems to be Jace's favorite.  Jace loves to "help out" around the house and this book is all about helping out mom and dad, or at least trying to.  ;)

9. My First Book of Animals From A to Z - Scholastic Books.  This was a hand-me-down book from Jace's uncle.  The book is filled with pages after pages of animals, from the well-known to the not so ordinary ones.  I thought it would be a little over his head to learn about random animals I barely even know the names to, but he really enjoys trying to memerize which ones are which.

10.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? - Eric Carle.  We have a few of these books by Eric Carle, and for some reason Jace thinks they're great, and has since he was young.  I think Eric Carle is great with his artwork and the fact the pictures are bright and always focus on nature makes his books some of kids favorites.

11. Blue Hat, Green Hat - Sandra Boynton.  When I recently picked up this book at the thrift store, I had it in mind for our next child, more than for Jace, thinking that Jace was a little old for it.  But I wrong.  The simple pictures make it easy for Jace to "read" it aloud all by himelf, which makes him feel like a big boy.  :)

12. I Love You Stinky Face - McCourt.  This has always been my favorite "sappy" book to read to Jace before bed.  There are several sappy books, but this one is a little more goofy and a little less tear-inducing.  :)


I'm sure there are several other favorites I could mention... but they change often.  What are your kids favorites?  I'd love to know, we're always looking for new books.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"No David!" is a good one :-) Lilyanne likes that one.

- Heather Hughes