- First of all, I think I sort of touched on the word "work" in my previous post and had a few people confused. I guess I forgot to mention I got a very part time job. I'm working as a substitute teacher at a preschool nearby. The reason I was interested in the position was mostly because Jace could attend preschool for free while I worked... meaning not only is it child-care-cost-free money coming in, but it's a great way for Jace to be social and take direction from someone other than me. He's in a different classroom and has to go just over four hours without seeing me each time, which I really think is important considering he often goes several days in a row seeing no one besides me and I want to avoid him becoming too clingy and shy towards others because of that.
- Tate's parents and sister came to visit last Saturday and left on Wednesday. We had a ton of fun having them here! It was a nice laid back trip that involved alot of relaxing mornings sipping coffee outside, afternoons spent at the beach or walking around and shopping, and most evenings were spent grilling out back or trying fun new restaurants. It was great for all of us (especially Jace!) to be able to catch up after not seeing each other for almost four months. Jace loved having them around and I think he's probably a little sad to be back to a quiet house and a regular routine. I'll post more details and pictures of their trip when I get a chance to upload the few pictures that we took during their visit.
- We had a nice Easter... it was spent mostly at the ocean soaking up the sun and enjoying amazing Pina Coladas with Tate's mom and sister while he and his dad did some fishing several miles off of the coast. Once they got back we had a low country boil at our house... (you know: shrimp, sausage, corn on the cob, baby potatoes, etc all thrown in a pot with seasonings and boiled to perfection? It's famous around here, hense the name... and if you're from MN and wondering, we live in the "low country" as they call it.) Jace loved his easter egg hunt and once he was no longer distracted by the amazing plastic eggs he liked his easter basket too. He now has enough candy to last him four full years :)
- Having family in town made me really excited for our visit to MN in two months. We will be back in the twin cities for about 8-9 days in approximately two months. I don't want to post specific dates we'll be out of our house on a public blog, but send me an email if you'd like to get together while we're back! We'll be driving so that we have a car while we're in town, and can bring any items back with us that we may have forgotten when we moved or decided to purchase while we visit. (What?? Of course I'm going to Mall of America and Ikea at some point while I'm back... duh.)
The only set plans we have so far are to spend some time up at Tate's families lake house for a couple of days. I'd also really like to take Jace to the Minnesota Zoo while we're in town, and stop by a couple of places we don't have here in SC... like Caribou Coffee and Chipotle. But mainly our focus is to spend time with family and close friends... and I'm excited to meet a couple of new babies while I'm back (hopefully!).
- We had our first mom's night out with the meetup group I organize. We didn't get crazy or anything... just a nice dinner at Wasabi and some great conversation. It was less than a week ago and I'm already wondering when I can do that again! I realized that as a mom I haven't really ever been at a point where I can leave the house at night without a big production. I mean there were those random times in the past where I've spent a few hours out... but Jace's first year was filled with nursing responsibilites and a very sleep resistant baby. Just spending two hours out to eat with friends meant two days worth of pumping milk in between feedings and stressing the whole time that you're out that the baby needs you, and not having more than one drink for fear of it passing through the milk and then coming home to a still wide awake and overly tired infant who wants only you to put them to sleep. By the time Jace was finally sleeping on a normal schedule and I had stopped breastfeeding it was time for us to move out of state. Now that I've met a few people here I'd like to try to get together with them more often. It worked out so well to leave the house right before Jace's bedtime and rest assured that Tate could handle feeding him and putting him to bed without me, with no problems. It sounds stupid, but when you exclusively nurse for a long period of time, I feel like you forget that your child can manage a night without you around.
- Speaking of Jace... he's doing great. He's a ball of energy and happiness every single day. We had a Jace and Mommy date tonight at the mall. They have a nice playland there in the food court that has alot of fun squishy things to climb on and a bouncy floor, so there's no worries as far as the kiddos hurting themselves too badly. It was paradise for Jace, he was climbing on everything and diving off. He'd do a major wipe out and then just laugh it off and climb right back. No matter where we are, Jace always demands the attention of everyone around him... the parents... the kids... everyone. He's so LOUD. Not in a bad way... just in a "I'm so happy and I just can't stop laughing and yelling to everyone" kind of way. My favorite thing that he does lately is when he goes behind something and sees someone on the other side, whether it's me or a stranger, and he starts waving frantically with both hands and yelling "Hi!" "Hi!" "Hi!" with a huge smile on his face. It's like he's just so excited that we can both see eachother, even though there is something in between us... or something. I wish I could capture that complete innocence and joy he has about those little things and bottle it up for him to use in the future.
While we were at the playground tonight, we met a couple of other parents with sons Jace's age. There sons looked similar to Jace, but they were soooo much calmer. One of the mom's kept panicking everytime Jace
- Random thought while on the subject of Jace... Another one of my favorite things he does constantly these days is say "Uh oh!" whenever something falls or goes wrong. The way he says it is just. so. stinkin. cute. I can't help but smile everytime he says it... even if he's saying it as he is spilling on the carpet, or purposely dropping something on the floor.
- Oh! oh! I found curtains for the living room that I adore. I had been unsuccessfully looking for fabric for a while to make my own, when I stumbled across some at World Market (love that place!). They're floral but not too grandma-ish. I put them up and made a couple of other little girly changes around the house while Tate was gone on business, and was surprised he actually liked the changes when he got home. Usually he likes things looking cold and masculine... haha just kidding. But I definitely don't think we share the same decorating style. ;) I'll post pictures of the new things I've done around here... like I said before... once I get all those pictures uploaded!
- Ok, I'm sure there's more... but I've lost my blog-drenaline and it will have to wait for next time. :)
1 comment:
I've been wondering about Jace's "School" that you have been posting about. I'm jealous! I think it must be great for him to get out and be away from Mama.
And Owen is so loud too! Everywhere we go, he is always the loudest kid I see... Nate chides me for getting embarrassed, but when we are at Barnes and Noble and he is playing with the train table saying "HELICOPTER! HELICOPTER!" etc... I can't help but being a bit embarrassed!
Post a Comment