We're still at my mom's house. This is our fourth day here, her hospital stay was extended so we camped out here a bit longer than planned. She should be coming home later today and her best friend will be staying with her over night to help her out and drive Alex to his evening activities. I'm glad that my mom has such good friends willing to help her out. Knowing that these women are always here to help her out makes relocating out of state a little easier on me. I won't have to worry that she doesn't have anyone to help her out in these situations in the future. Sometimes it's hard not to worry about your parent after they've been widowed. I know she's ok, but I'm sure it's hard not having that person there to take care of you in the times that you need taking care of.
Being at my mom's house has been alot of fun for Jace because he has his uncle Alex around to play with and a great big house to run around and explore. It's always nice to come home the house I grew up in, there's always alot of comfort in it. Being here has given me alot of house envy though. I forgot how nice it was to live in a house and be able to walk right into a warm car out in the garage, and not have to worry about being too loud. I actually had to stop myself from grabbing some pots away from Jace as he banged them on the kitchen floor, who cares if he makes noise, there's no one below us. Well at least I hope there's not someone in the basement! I'm very much looking forward to moving into a house next month. Oh my gosh, I just said next month... is it really already moving time in January??? More on the house hunt later...
We weren't prepared to stay as long at my moms house as long as we did so we had to make a diaper and milk run last night to Target. I picked up Jace some toddler markers and a pad of paper to occupy him for our last night over here, and he tried drawing for the first time. He had fun seeing all the bright colors, but the toddler markers are made with a really small ink tip so you have to draw with them straight up and down to get them to work properly, which was a bit of a hard concept for Jace to figure out on his own.
Another fun thing for Jace at my mom's house was all the food he was able to try. When I'm at home I'm usually giving him pretty "safe" healthy foods with no chances of food allergies, such as: green beans, bananas, peaches, whole wheat snacks, avocado, bean and veggie burittos, and chicken (which he refuses mostly unless it's in nugget form now, go figure). Jace is so active now, and since he can't have calorie packed whole milk (and the fact that his ped said I should only be giving him 20-24 oz of soy milk a day, instead of the 32 oz that he has been having) and he is on the skinny side to begin with... I realized I need to focus more on making sure he's eating enough, even if it's not always the healthiest food. So far this week so far he as tried: homemade chicken and wild rice soup, breadsticks, supreme pizza, ravioli, diluted apple juice, goldfish crackers, honey grahams... and guess what? He was just fine. He actually loved it all and has been eating a ton all week. So, gone is my stress about having a skinny skeleton of a toddler who refuses to eat. If he's eating, I'm happy. Am I going to dive in a give him cake, donuts, pop, and doritos? Absolutely not. But, there's definitely a happy medium for us on being overly cautious and too daring.
| I like pizza! |
| I got a couple Chocolate Goldfish with my banana! |
![]() |
| Mmmm... Ravioli is delicious! |
Speaking of kids and pop. When I was at the mall the other day I saw a young boy who had to be about 2.5-3 years old. He was drinking out of a bottle... and I watched his mom pour her pop into the bottle, screw on the lid and give it to him. Are you kidding?? I try not to judge other parents since I never know the back story, but this made me realize: who cares if Jace got to have a peice of pizza, at least he's not drinking pop out of a bottle! He's actually not drinking anything out of a bottle anymore, he's fully transitioned to full time sippy cup use, and thank god it was before he was 3 like the mall boy.
Jace has been up to his usual... which is running around not stop and being a total boy. His new thing this week is singing "night, night" with me before naptime and bedtime. I usually just softly sing "Night, night Jacer... night, night Jacer..." as he lays on my shoulder before bed. He's now singing it back in a little soft voice... "nigh, nigh... nigh, nigh". Jace's hair is getting so long and fluffy, I want to cut it off into a cute little boy haircut... but Tate is adament that it stays long. Hopefully soon I can sneak in a little trim without his dad noticing. ;)
Another thing I realized about Jace this week is that he won't go from sitting to standing without pulling himself up or pushing down on something. It's not that he can't physically do it, but I don't think he understands that he doesn't need something there to help him get up. For example, if he's walking around and sits down or falls over in the middle of an open room, he will crawl over to the nearest toy and push himelf up on it until he's standing up and walking again. The toy obviously isn't helping him stand up, usually they're only about an inch off the ground! I think he just hasn't quite gotten that he can just push up on the carpet, without a block or book to help. It is pretty amusing to watch though... I'm sure he'll catch on soon enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment