Monday, March 5, 2012

"B" Week

Today starts "B" week in our house!  Lots of fun words start with the letter "B" so we have a ton planned for this week, hopefully we'll get to all of it!  We got started today with a few crafts and activities, so I thought I would share what we've done so far.

This morning we started by studying the letter B, and then I asked Jace to "trace" it with some blue glitter glue.  After he traced it he stuck little balls to the B to make a fun little "B is for Balls" craft. 

Tracing with glitter glue

Sticking balls to the letter B
We also did a little discovery box.  Each day I'm going to add a few more items beginning with the letter B, but to start today we had a box filled with: butterfly, blocks, ball, burger, banana, brownie, bus, "B" magnet, beads, and "blueberries" (really just more pom pom balls).  I just used a plastic bin from the dollar store for our discovery box, and let Jace explore what was inside.  Tomorrow we'll be adding more things to the box.

"B" discovery box, day 1.

We discussed more about beads starting with the letter B, and decided to make a bracelet.  This was Jace's first time stringing beads, and he really enjoyed it.  Although at times he got frustrated if one of the beads slipped off the end.

Getting started... very focused


Almost done...

Finished bracelet, I asked him if he could act a little more excited....

... so he gave me THIS face.  LOL!
We then moved on to talking about how "B" is for bird and birdhouse.  I drew an outline of a bird on a piece of paper and gave Jace a glue stick to fill in the bird, and then gave him eyeballs and feathers to stick to the bird.  He loved this craft!  But... it went really quick, so I should have done a bigger bird I guess...

Making a colorful bird

Going with our bird theme, we also painted a wooden birdhouse for our feathered friends.  Since I didn't want to birdhouse to automatically turn brown from a mix of all the colors, I only gave him blue, green, yellow and white for paint colors.  He painted the entire birdhouse and then I just helped him smooth out the "blobs" of paint that would never dry otherwise.  I think it turned out great! 



Apparently he sticks out his tongue when he's focusing...

Our finished "B" crafts, Day 1.
Oh, I forgot that we also read the book Blueberries for Sal, and did a little hunt around the house for blueberries to stick in our metal pail, three at a time.  We just used the little blue pom poms for blueberries to avoid a mess.  :)



We're not having any more structured learning time today, but tomorrow we're hoping to make butterfly snack bags, playdough bugs, and a bumble bee "B".  Looking forward to that, and the rest of our week of learning all about the letter B!

2 comments:

alison said...

You said he had a short attention span, but i could never get Owen to sit through and complete those crafts. Or do them so well! We have the blueberries for sal book, I should try that activity

Katrina said...

haha... he has a small attention span if he's not "moving" in some way. But, he loves crafts and will focus really well with those :)