Wednesday, November 16, 2011

MN Trip November 2011

Our flight out of Charleston was at 4:30pm on Thursday the 3rd.  We had a quick 45 minute flight over to Atlanta where we had an hour layover.  Jace passed out on Tate's lap before we were even in the air, which was amazing for me because it meant I stayed hands free the entire first flight.  Pretty exciting in mom land :)



We had a quick bite to eat in Atlanta and hopped on our flight to Minneapolis.  The flight was exactly two hours and Jace sat pretty content the whole flight, watching Finding Nemo on Tate's laptop.  I was so relieved that this flight went so smoothly.  I can honestly say I've never NOT had a bad flying experience up until now.  Whether it's lost luggage, or delays, or a screaming toddler... this time, nothing, it was perfect!



Tate's mom picked us up at the airport and took us back to her house.  We got there around 9 pm and made a quick frozen pizza (Jack's of course!) while she caught up with Jace.  After that we made Jace a little comfy bed on the floor and all passed out in the guest room.

We woke up early Friday and headed to the Caribou Coffee in my moms neighborhood so that Tate could plug in and work for the day while Jace and I spent time with my mom.  After sitting down and enjoying coffee together, Jace and I headed to my moms where he played with her for the afternoon.  That evening Tate went hunting with his dad and Jace and I headed over to my brother and sister in laws for dinner.  All three of my brothers were there, along with my mom, my sister in law, my nephew, and my brothers fiance.  We had a casual pizza dinner and let the boys become reaquainted.  Micah showed Jace how amazing "choo-choos" are, and they played with the train table and big cardboard blocks all night.



The next morning Jace and I went to coffee with my best friend Alli, before I dropped him off to play with Micah while I went wedding dress shopping with Alli.  This was her first time trying on any wedding dresses, and I'm glad I was there to be apart of it.  We also found some good bridesmaid dress options, so all in all it was a pretty successful trip.  :)

After picking up Jace, we headed back to my moms house so that he could nap and I could get ready for Tate's sister Mandi's 30th birthday party.  Tate swung by from hunting to pick me up and we headed downtown Minneapolis for a little dinner together before the party.  Jace stayed with my mom for the evening.  We went to the 508 for some buffallo chicken wontons and a couple drinks before heading over to Nami for the party.  Mandi had rented out a room at the sushi restaurant for the party and lots of people showed up to celebrate her special day. 




The birthday girl with her parents and us.



The next morning Jace and I spent some time with my mom before heading to lunch at Chipotle with Alli, while Tate hung out with his sister for a bit.  Later that day we all met up at Tate's parents house to eat a home cooked meal, watch movies and chill out.


He only liked the chips and sour cream of course...

The next couple of days Tate was hunting with his dad and uncle... so Jace and I spent that time hanging out at my moms house, relaxing and spending laid back bonding time with her and my littlest brother.  It was really nice to just do "nothing" while we were back this time.  In July we ran around so much that by the time we got home we were exhausted and felt like we were spread too thin to really spend quality time with anyone.  Now that Jace is older, I felt like it was really important for us to focus just on relaxing with family this trip. 


Playing with Uncle Alex's old toys at Grandma's

I did meet up with friends one more time while I was back for a quick dinner at our favorite mexican restaurant.  Jace was so exhausted from the time change (and the fact he had been refusing to nap each day we had been back) that he passed out on my lap at the restaurant.  I'm sure people were looking at me like take that poor child home but oh well! 



Jace enjoyed spending quality time with his cousin Micah while we were back, and Micah even threw Jace a little playdate one of the mornings we were back.  We got to hang out with a few of our old moms group friends while we were back, which was a lot of fun... because everyone has changed so much.

Once Tate was back from hunting, we spent the next couple of mornings chilling out as a family.  We spent alot of time going to coffee shops in the morning for breakfast, while Tate took advantage of the wi-fi and got caught up on work.  We would try and take Jace somewhere afterwards, like a mall playland, to get some energy out.













We also spent a day visiting with my Grandma Ellie (my dad's mom) who lives in a nursing home now.  She has advanced alzheimers, so she didn't know who we were... but it was still important to me to visit with her.  She kept telling Jace that he was a very "pretty little girl".  :)


That same day we stopped out at the cemetary to show Jace where my dad is buried.  He obviously doesn't really understand death yet, and I'd like to keep it that way... so instead we told him that's where his Grandpa Jeff is sleeping.  As we left Jace said "Ok, night night grandpa...".  It was very sweet.


We stopped for lunch that day at the Bulldog in downtown St Paul afterwards.  We split a "monster" sandwich, fries, tater tots, and a kosher pumpkin puree and seed hotdog.



We also got Jace's two year pics taken while we were
back.  He ended up cutting his lip open during pictures
and passed out after all the excitement.

Friday evening we headed to my moms house for dinner to celebrate Dana's birthday (the day before) and Jace's birthday (Sunday).  We had lasagna dinner, which Jace didn't even touch... and then opened up presents.  Jace was so excited when he got a "choo choo" from Micah and also the Winnie the Pooh movie.  He also got gifts from my mom, a Dr Suess sleeper, a book, and a tool bench. His favorite part was probably playing with all the balloons though.  :)





Digging in!



Auntie Dana's gift from Jace

Fighting over the Thomas Megablocks


Love Tate's facial expression!  Surprised that Jace actually quickly blew out
his candles like he had done it a million times before :)

Dana blowing out candles

Cousins, one month apart!  They're going to be besties someday, they just
don't know it quite yet :)

That night after the party we headed back to Tate's parents to sleep and pack up some of our stuff.  In the morning Jace enjoyed running around outside with "GrandPa Lori"  (he says grandpa instead of grandma, hehe).




Meeting the neighbor's dog, a little shy and hiding behind Grandma


That afternoon we took Jace to Mall of America to celebrate his birthday, along with Tate's sister Mandi.  We went to Nickelodeon Universe and rode alot of fun rides... Blue's Clues, Diego, and the train ride were his favorites.  We also stopped at Lego Land to admire all the legos, and ate lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.  Jace loved all of it!  The restaurant was a perfect place to take a toddler, he was amazed at all the animals, and flickering lights, and sounds. 


Legoland





Yelling down "Mommy, I riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!"


Kept wanting us to lift him up so he could touch all
the Nick Jr characters!


Rainforest Cafe


"knuckles!"


After we left the mall we picked up Tate's Grandma (or as Jace calls her "Nani") and headed back to Tate's parents house for a birthday dinner for Jace.  We had pizza, and opened presents, and had the cutest Winnie the Pooh cake ever!  Jace loved getting to spend some time with Nani, since he hadn't seen her since last Christmas.  He was spoiled with wonderful gifts, one of which was a chuggington train set, so he was very excited about more "choo choos"!  After all the fun, Jace was in a great mood and wanted to take lots of pictures.



Great Grandma Kay helping Jace open gifts




Pure anticipation :)

Trying out the frosting...

Riding on grandma's lap



Cheesin in front of the fridge... I think I have an almost
identical picture on my second birthday at my grandma's
house actually.  Totally coincidental.


Buddies


Jace is blessed with several wonderful "Grandpas"

 The next morning we woke up and headed to the airport, but not before deciding that we would be coming back for Christmas, even though we hadn't originally planned on it.  It was a great laid back trip full of family time... which is really what's important.  Looking forward to Christmas in Minnesota!

**You can read all about our last trip home in July here.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Jace is getting so big! What a cutie! I love the Bulldog it's so yummy.