Thursday, August 25, 2011

Flashbacks

My laptop recently broke, so I dug my old computer out of the attic and have been using that for the last few weeks.  Just the other day I stumbled across several pictures that had been trapped on this computer from long before I started this blog.  I had fun sifting through the pictures, and found the most random shots to be the ones with the most memories attached to them... not necessarily the pictures I liked the most at the time.  I wish I would have blogged back when Tate and I first met, or when I was pregnant or when Jace was an infant... time passes so quickly and those memories fade.  I love looking back now and being so glad that I remembered to take pictures... it reminds me that even though sometimes I feel like a mama-razzi with the camera, those pictures mean so much as time passes... each and every one of them.

A few of the pictures in the computer file reminded me that I never really took many pregnancy pictures.  I have just a handful of them, and now that I'm no longer uncomfortable and swollen, I wish I would have taken more.  I also realized while looking through these pictures that Jace has lived in three different homes in his short life already, and we have almost no pictures of the first house.  This blog is supposed to be written for him... as something he can read when he's older and re-live all of the little details of our life together.  The fact that for a while I couldn't find any pictures of those times made me sad.  So this picture of me 3 months pregnant, on the deck of the house we first brought Jace home to, means something now...


Jace, this was your dads first attempt at capturing a "belly picture" of you.  Of course I felt stupid posing with my non-bump so I didn't really cooperate!  Flash forward a few months and I definitely had a bump to pose with...

30 weeks

Almost 42 weeks... ouch ;)

But, I'm getting ahead of myself aren't I?  Let's rewind to the beginning.  Afterall Jace, before you there was just daddy and me...


When I was four months pregnant with you we took a "babymoon" trip to Punta Cana, DR.  After flight delays and rerouting and lost luggage... we finally arrived and I still remember that first late night trip to the ocean...

Exhausted and barely alive after our 5 hour flight turned into a
24 hour disaster...

Late night ocean walk, 4 months pregnant in the DR.

We had alot of fun in Punta Cana, soaking up some sun and enjoying the relaxation and care-free date nights while we could!



The last night we were in the Dominican we had dinner on the beach under a palapa when is started down pouring rain.  It was the perfect way to end our week.  :)




Fast forward a couple of months and our life changed forever.  Those first couple of pictures that were taken at the hospital still bring tears to my eyes.  But now I wonder... who took these pictures?  The nurse?  I don't even remember!

Finding out that you were a BOY, Jace!

I love that you can see the tears in your daddy's eyes in this picture.  :)
The joy we felt when you joined our family was amplified by the fact that it was right as the best time of the year was approaching!  We had so much fun bringing you to all of your first holiday parties.


My little elf :)
Jace, those next few months FLEW by.  My favorite thing about that stage in your life, was that you loved to sleep-cuddle.  You would always fall asleep with a full belly of milk and I couldn't help but just sit and stare at you.  You would smile and laugh in your dreams... and you would randomly start sucking on your pacifier as if you were having dreams about drinking milk.

Milk drunk...

Sucking on your imaginary milk :)


Learning to crawl was exhausting too!
Before we knew it you were taking your first bites of baby food.  You used to love eating super thick oatmeal and then going into a mini food coma afterwards.

"Whoa, I'm full..."

 
Jace, you and daddy made my first mother's day special by taking a limo to brunch.  You were such a good boy at the restaurant!  (Boy, have those days changed now...!!)

Mother's Day limo ride
Suddenly before we knew it you were sitting up on your own and starting to fill out in all the cutest chubby places.  Even your feet looked like little bread loaves...




You started developing this amazing happy personality.  You were always smiling and laughing... you were the most easy going baby and had this huge personality already.




If you couldn't tell in the above picture... you also started getting your first teeth around this time.  Drool city!  When your top two teeth came in I almost cried because it meant I would never again so that gummy smile you had the first seven months of your life.  But those top two teeth were just so cute all spaced out...

Little teeth buds growing in...
That picture reminded me I haven't talked about your second home yet.  Do you remember this house Jace?  This was where you spent the majority of your first year of life.  This was the view down the hallway to your bedroom... and you playing in your bedroom.




As time passed you started to look less and less like my little baby, and more like a little boy.  All of a sudden you no longer wore pastel blue onesies and footie sleepers, but instead you dressed like a little man.



Of course, this wouldn't be complete without including what our average day looked like for a while there... with you and your cousin Micah playing together while I watched you both.  Boy, how you two were different babies!  Someday we'll look back at these pictures and laugh at how much, or how little, your personalities have changed.  For some reason I have this image of the two of you in your teenage years getting into a lot of trouble together, and I have a feeling I know which wild-child will be at fault for getting the other one in trouble... ;)


"Gimme!"

Just an everyday tupperware cupboard emptying party...


Car ride!

When Jace apparently went through a growth spurt!

Our morning walks to Caribou for coffee...

Everything is better with two... ok except grocery
shopping.  This picture is deceiving ;)
And there is where this blog began...

No comments: