Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fatty

Yep, that's me.  Tate and I often talk about how unhealthy we are and how much junk food we eat everyday... and that we should slow down a little.  But, like most people it's usually "Tomorrow we'll start being better."  What Tate doesn't know is that all day while he's working... I'm eating.  Literally, if you were to look at the clock at any random time chances are more likely that I'm eating than not eating.  Once in a while I get "caught" when suddenly all of the muffins are gone or the tin of chocolates were left on the bed-side table... empty.  But, mostly we just laugh it off.  It's no secret to anyone that I love food.  It's a close second to... oh nevermind, I can't think of anything.  It's apparently the number one thing I think about and talk about.

Well finally yesterday we decided to bite the bullet and weigh ourselves.  Scales don't lie.  Clothes lie (oh my gosh, stupid dryer shrunk my favorite jeans!).  Even mirrors lie.  You get used to seeing yourself day after day so you don't notice changes in weight as much.  I hadn't weighed myself since Jace was two months old and I was curious to see if I had lost the 50 pounds I gained during pregnancy, which I had... so I tucked that scale back where it belongs, in the back of the closet collecting dust.  So now... just over a year later, keeping that number in mind I hopped reluctantly stepped onto the scale.  Well... I weigh 15 pounds more than I did SHORTLY AFTER HAVING A BABY!  So when I look back at 2010, it will be the year I forever remember as the year I didn't notice gaining 15 pounds.

Once I got over the number that the scale shot back at me, and concluded that my scale wasn't in fact broken, and that no Jace hadn't snuck up behind me and stepped on along with me... I gave in and realized it's time to quit being a sloth.  At 5'7" 15 pounds shouldn't be that hard to lose.  Even if I just lost 10 at least my clothes would fit the way they should again... instead of looking like I painted them on.  Sigh... I'm not into diets, and I'm much too hungry of a person to last on one.  But, Tate and I both decided we'll be trying to incorporate a few healthier choices into our lives.  You know, like normal people do.

So I figured if I blogged about it, maybe it'll hold me a little more accountable.  Maybe.  I know some people have blogged about weight loss before and typically people list their weights.  I don't think I'm into posting my current weight, just because everyone carries their weight differently and the point is just to be at a healthy size where I can maintain a good balance of health and food enjoyment. 

I've decided that in an effort to jump start my healthier lifestyle I would cleanse myself of carbohydrates for a few days.  I never used to like sweets, until I was pregnant... and then breastfeeding, and it became a habit to eat dessert with every meal because I was "eating for two".  Well I'm no longer eating for two, unless we're referring to my chins.  Sugar is such an addictive thing that now I crave sugar constantly.  I've heard the only way to get yourself out of the dessert habit is to give up all sugars for two weeks.

So I decided to cut out sugars and carbohydrates from my diet for 4 days (Tuesday-Friday of this week).  I figure it will help me feel less bloated and lazy, which are two totally unmotivating things to feel when you're trying to choose a chicken breast with veggies for dinner instead of a huge burger and fries.  So since I started yesterday... today would be day 2.  Yes, only day 2.  You've got to be kidding me.  This is SO hard.  I weighed myself after the first 24 hours and I was down 1.5 pounds.  That's not very motivating, but I'm trying to stick with it through Friday and then go from there.

My biggest problems are portion control and constant snacking.  So after Friday comes and goes (counting the seconds, literally) I'm going to focus on those.  I've decided I may cancel my membership to the clean plate club... especially when eating out.  There is no reason that I have to eat an entire heaping plate worth of food at each meal.  As for the snacking, most of it is absent minded.  Usually I'll be giving Jace a snack or meal and decide I should have one as well, and then eat whatever he didn't finish as well.  Do I really need to eat half of his sandwich or a row of townhouse crackers just because he had a couple?

Don't get me wrong, I guarantee we will still be going out to eat a couple of times every week and I will still enjoy burgers, burritos, and the occasional fast food from time to time.  It's all about finding a balance and maintaining a comfortable weight.  And by comfortable I mean a weight I don't have to work out daily or count calories to maintain, but that I'm ok with being seen in a swim suit at the beach with (well... after a couple of drinks while wearing a cover-up, haha)

So that's my plan.  It's not much of a plan... just the simple "healthier choices" idea that I should already be using.  My goal is clear.  To lose 12-15 pounds by tomorrow  April.  April is a ways away right?  Should be totally do-able... right?  Right?  Oh, please be do-able... and easy.  Anyone have any suggestions that work well for them??

** Now that I blogged about this I have to actually stick to it... gulp.  Keep you posted**

3 comments:

alison said...

I checked out the book The Mayo Clinic Diet from the library in December.. Its basically common sense food pyramid stuff but I quickly lost 20 pounds following it (course I'm a lot heavier than you....)
So I totally recommend it because its based on a balanced diet.

Holly Andrekus said...

Look at some Rachel Ray cookbooks. She has a lot of easy recipes that follow a Mediterranean diet - which is what we try to follow. It's a lot of veggies, & when we do have meat, it's more of a side item then the main item.

And I still think you look hot!!!!

. said...

hahaha. This is hilarious. I did weight watchers after my freshman year of college and I swear by it. I lost 20 lbs in 3 months. You get to eat whatever you want, just not all the time. You're right, portions are the killer. Good luck ;)