Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sometimes you just have to laugh...

** Warning: if you have a weak stomach, or are currently eating... you should probably not continue reading this post.  :)  **

The last few days have been a whirlwind of packing.  Tate's been busy with work, so I've been doing all of the packing.  We're probably about 75% done...  Unfortunately Jace decided this week that he's outgrown sleeping.  He's been refusing to take a nap for the last six days, and has been pushing bedtime back about two hours with constant fights.  Along with the refusal to go to bed, he's also wet the bed several nights this week.  (After going about a month straight without any bedtime accidents!)  So in between fighting over naps and bedtime, and washing excessive wet laundry... we're packing up our entire house. 

This week while I was at work, I saw that the little boy sitting next to Jace in class was coughing alot and looked super sick and miserable.  I made a comment to my coworker that I could 100% guarantee that Jace was going to get sick thanks to his lack of sleep all week.  Sure enough, last night at bedtime Jace suddenly had a fever.  I gave him some tylenol and put him to bed, but 3 hours later, just as I was heading to bed I heard it.  The croup-like cough coming from his bedroom.  He was hysterical, and I was panicking.  He had croup three months ago, and it landed us in the ER.  Thankfully, this time, I didn't hear a wheeze coming from his chest so I knew I could try some home remedies before going to ER route.  I took him outside, but the air wasn't cold enough so we stood in front of the freezer, and then stood in the bathroom for several minutes with a hot shower running hoping that the mix of steam and cold air would help his airways.  It seemed to be working, so around 2 am I put him back to bed and crawled in my bed.  About 45 minutes later he was up and hysterical again.  He got more medicine and lots of cuddle time on the floor of the bathroom surrounded in steam.  I think I lost about 5 pounds of water weight, lol.

Around 5 am I tried putting him back to bed, but he wouldn't lay down without me... so he came into our bed and slept for about an hour on my chest.  Which can I say, is not quite as comfortable as it was when he was a baby!  A 30 pound, 37 inch toddler doesn't fit quite as well.  Around 6 am he was up and ready for the day... so Tate got out of bed and headed to work while I flipped on the cartoons and hoped for another half hour of shut eye.  After sleeping for about an hour and a half total, I gave up and we were up for the day.

Thankfully by morning Jace's fever had broken and his cough was productive, so I was no longer worried about labored breathing at all.  We spent all day trying to take it easy on the couch, and taking in lots of vitamins and fluids.  He seemed to be much much better as the day went on... but thanks to all the vitamin C I had been giving him he was having more frequent bathroom trips, as his stomach was a little upset.  He's fine going to the bathroom without my help if he's on his potty chair, but doesn't do well on the big toilet... so he knows to use his potty chair if I'm not with him, and then to dump it in the toilet and flush when he's done.

Well... after dinner I was cleaning up the dishes when he went sprinting into the bathroom.  I could hear from the kitchen that his stomach was a little "upset", so I started walking to the bathroom to check on him.  Just as I was turning the corner, he ran out of the bathroom and exclaimed "Oh no Mommy!  I made a poopy mess!  Oh no!  There's a mess!  Sorry Mommy".  The light in the bathroom was still off, he'd been in such a rush he didn't get a chance to turn it on.  Had he turned on the light he would have realized that the lid to the "big toilet" was shut.  If you're not understanding where I'm going with this...  He went to dump his potty chair into the toilet, but the toilet was NOT open.  Yea.  Not pretty.  It.  Was.  Everywhere.

I don't know why, but I couldn't help it... I collapsed on the floor laughing.  I was laughing so hard I started crying... and snorting.  I couldn't stop.  Sometimes people say crying feels like a "release" when alot has been going on in your life, well for me that was laughing... once I started I couldn't stop.  So I sat in the hallway, crying with laughter, while my confused 2 year old stared at me.  I tried to compose myself as I was cleaning up, but I just couldn't stop.  I called Tate and was laughing so hard he could hardly understand what I was trying to say.  Why was it so funny?  I have no idea... I guess something in me just broke down and realized that moving is stressful, and having a sick kid is stressful... but those aren't real problems, those are just life.  Although three years ago I could never have pictured myself laughing hysterically through cleaning diarrhea out of every single crevice in our bathroom, that's life.  And you know what, life is beautiful... even when it's messy and disgusting.  Jace apparently knew I was taking things a little too seriously, and needed a slap of reality to bring me back.  And a twenty minute, ab burning, laugh session was exactly what I needed.

No comments: