Sunday, July 22, 2012

Week 25




Today starts week 25 of this pregnancy.  The baby is now measuring just over 1.5 pounds and his lungs are developing rapidly now.  My pregnancy is now considered "viable", meaning that the baby could survive outside of the womb if there were an emergency and he needed to.  Obviously the survival rate goes up significantly between now and 28 weeks (or hopefully full term!) but it's comforting to know when you've reached that point... just in case you were to hit complications.  Since Jace was so late I don't even consider the chances of me going into pre-term labor a possibility, but the further along in pregnancy I get the more aware I've become that this is a totally different pregnancy and anything is always a possibility and try to remind myself to take it easy on my body and to eat proper nutrients. 

I had a follow up ultrasound a couple of weeks ago to check on a slight abnormality at my anatomy scan four weeks earlier.  Thankfully everything looked perfect this time, so that we don't need to have any extra worry in the back of our minds.  I wasn't super concerned since Jace had had the same issue at my anatomy scan with that pregnancy and the issue really means nothing... but it's still nice to hear it's gone away and everything looks exactly like it should.

I've been feeling wonderful lately.  My SPD is a little better temporarily, and I think that's because the baby has moved up a bit and isn't causing as much pressure.  Obviously this won't last long, so I'm enjoying it while I can.  I've been feeling extreme nesting for the past couple of weeks now, but not in the cleaning type sense that I had with Jace at the very end of my pregnancy.  This time it's all about organizing and crafting and being very Suzy Homemaker-ish.  I don't know if it's just a different type of nesting this time around, but I'm definitely not complaining.  I feel my best when I'm being creative and when my life is totally organized, so I think this nesting phase is very much needed. 

My appetite is definitely in full effect... but I can tell it will be slowing down soon because I tend to feel uncomfortably full faster these days now that I'm getting so big.  Thank goodness, because with how much weight I can in the start of my pregnancies I can't possibly keep up that pace!  I haven't weighed myself in three weeks, but my gain is right around 30 pounds, hopefully not more. 

The past few weeks have been going by really slow, which I think is normal once you hit 20 weeks and are just waiting for the next "milestone" in pregnancy.  Only three more weeks until the third trimester so hopefully that will seem like we're getting closer.  I haven't even considered setting up any baby furniture yet, or going through Jace's old clothes and getting them ready for baby.  I will probably start to do that closer to 30 weeks.  I have purchased a few items we needed for this baby though.  Just the other day I found a perfect condition vibrating baby papasan chair for $3.99 at the thrift store... I was pretty excited, and considering it has working batteries which cost that much anyways it's like getting it for free, right?!  Much better than the $55 dollars it currently costs at Babies R Us. 

I'm debating whether or not we'll cloth diaper this time.  I know for sure I don't want to for the first month or two, just based on the fact that there is so much else going on with recovery and getting the hang of nursing and everything else.  But, I'm strongly considering starting cloth diapers after that.  I have a few cloth diapers already, so I may just try those out for a while before making the full cloth investment.

Jace is getting VERY excited lately about the baby.  He talks about him all of the time, which makes me feel much more relieved about how he's going to take this transition.  A couple of weeks ago we stopped by the baby clothing section in Target and he said "Are we buying something for my baby?!?!  I get to have a BABY BROTHER!!! YAYYYYY!!!" and was clapping and yelling hurray loud enough for several people around us to make comments that they think he may be a little excited.  He also likes to let me know that he's excited for the baby to come but that "it's not quite time yet" which I think is very sweet.  I told him once it's Halloween then the baby is ready, so I think he's just patiently waiting for pumpkins to start appearing.  :)

No comments: