As much as I'm loving exploring our new town and meeting new people... there will always be a place in my heart for Minnesota. No matter where life takes me, I'm sure that it will always feel like home. Tonight I started looking through some old pictures and started to get a mixture of feelings... a little bit home sick, and a little bit excited for our upcoming visit. We will be back in Minnesota in a few weeks and by the time we get there it will have been exactly six months since we left.
Alot changes in six months when you have a toddler. There are so many fun activities for kids in the Twin Cities and Jace was too young to enjoy most of them when we left, so I'm excited to take full advantage of our visit and pack as much as we can into that week long visit. For some reason I feel the need to start planning it all out now, just because thinking of all these things we're going to do makes me happy.
It's sort of weird planning out a visit to your hometown that you spent the first 25 years of your life in. When you live somewhere for so long, you take advantage of the idea that certain people, places and things will always be there... and it isn't until you're removed from it all that you realize which random things you miss that you never knew you would. So it will be weird being a tourist in my own hometown... but none the less, I'm thrilled to be heading back for a visit!
The first couple of days we're in Minnesota will be spent up at Tate's family's lake place. We've spent alot of time up there the couple of years before we moved south. Alot of memories were made there when Jace was a very little baby. I'm so excited to start out our trip with a relaxing couple of days spent at the lake with family.
Speaking of lakes... one part of the Twin Cities that holds an unexpected part of my heart is downtown White Bear Lake. We lived there for just one year before moving to SC, and both Tate and I fell in love with the area. We moved there because of my job, but had no idea that that would be the place we would grow that attached to. I love the small town feeling right outside the city, and the lakes and beaches around every corner helped too. It was the place we raised Jace as a baby, and the streets we walked along each night as new parents, and for that reason I will always love it there. I'm really excited to spend some time back in White Bear Lake... possibly for Market Fest which goes on every Thursday. Anyone want to go? :)
While we're back I would love to take advantage of having two zoos within minutes of us. The Minnesota Zoo is a must, since Jace has never been to that one. I just know he's going to go crazy over the dolphin show!
I'd also like to take him back to the Minnesota Children's Museum now that he's a little older...
Maybe even Underwater Adventures at the Mall of America? I haven't been in years so I don't know if it's something he'd like or not...
Speaking of Mall of America... oh yes, we'll be going there too! It's strange because growing up this was just 15 minutes from my house, so it was just "the mall". Now I realize having all that shopping in one place is amazing, and we will definitely be making a stop.
While we're there we'll obviously stop across the street at IKEA. (I feel like this post is starting to make my wallet ache... that wasn't the original intention of this!)
As for other must-stop places while we're back. Do I even have to say it? Chipotle and Caribou Coffee may be getting daily visits from us. Seriously these pictures just make me smile... I think I have a problem. :)
I'm also excited for a change of scenery. Minnesota is filled with sky scrapers, and hills, and lakes... none of which exist in my world now.
I'd love to walk through Minnehaha Falls park while we're back... because I miss the simplest things like water falls. Oh, and it may have a little something to do with the fact that Dominguez Family Restaurante is around the corner!
We will be back for the 4th anniversary of my dad passing away. Most years we plant flowers at his grave... I'm glad I won't be missing out on that this year.
It doesn't really need to be said, and maybe should have been said before I posted about food that I miss... that I really really miss our friends and family. We're sooooo excited to see our loved ones. I haven't seen my nephew since Christmas time, and that's pretty depressing considering he was only 12 months old then and he'll be 18 months when we get back. He used to love me, and I watched him 4 times a week... now he won't even recognize me... sad. But even if he and Jace don't remember that they're BFFs I'm sure it will still be a fun reunion and I can't wait.
Jace is also going to be ecstatic when he sees my youngest brother Alex, who just turned 12. They have a special relationship that involves alot of laughter.
Who knows, we may even make time to see a Twins game... since the last one Jace was at he didn't seem at that impressed with. ;)
May as well leave on a food note... the thing I cannot wait for: good pizza! Good midwestern style pizza... and yes the picture below was taken at Donatelli's in White Bear Lake, because we're the kind of people that take pictures of our pizza. It wasn't featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives for nothing. Amazing!
So anyways... there are tons more things I'm looking forward to heading "home" for. But putting this blog together made me that much more excited for next month! :)






























2 comments:
Underwater World or whatever its called now got a face lift and new name... we havent been since its changed but ive heard good things :D
Yay, I'm sooo excited for you guys to visit too!! I wish I didn't have to work...
I would definitely want to go to market fest, I loved it last year!
Jace looks soo different in the older pictures you posted, I can't believe how fast he's growing!
Post a Comment