Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Jace - 18 months

My little baby is officially a year and a half old.  18 months, wow.  I can't believe we're halfway to TWO!  It's especially crazy to think he was only 13 months old when we left Minnesota, so to those who haven't seen him since then... he's definitely changed in the few months that we've been gone.  Any traces of "baby" in him are completely gone.

We have his well-check appointment on Thursday so I'll find out more details on his height and weight then.  It might be my imagination but I think he grew an inch or two overnight recently.  I no longer have to roll up the bottoms of his favorite jeans... which proves this theory even more.  As for size, Jace actually fits into the clothes that he "should" fit into right now... 18-24 months for shirts, pants and even hats, so maybe his head is evening out with his age group finally, haha!  He's wearing size 5s and 6s in shoes, so I think he's sort of in between right now and can luckily fit comfortably into both.  He's still wearing size 4 diapers.

Jace is currently cutting his lateral incisors, and they've been the worst teeth for him to get so far.  He's been extra sensitive, tired, fussy, drooly, booger-y, and worst of all in pain.  This has been going on for about two weeks now and unfortunately they're still taking their time pushing through the gums.  With the teething, Jace has been on a very picky eating streak.  Most days he has no interest in eating at all, and will just throw his food on the floor.  The only foods he's been eating really well the last couple of weeks are snack crackers, bread, green beans, raisins, and cottage cheese... everything else is pretty much immediately dismissed.  Not good... I'm definitely ready for these teeth to pop through before he gets malnourished!

Jace's vocabulary has definitely picked up within the last month.  He loves to mimick any words that are said to him or around him, and yes he has said a "no-no" word once and it was not me that he heard it from in case you're wondering.  :)  Luckily that was nipped in the bud and he hasn't said anything like that since.  He's still not saying many clear words, but he has probably about 10 he says clearly and the rest only I can understand.  He said his first "sentance" a couple of weeks ago ("Where'd it go?") and has been stringing a couple of simple words together regularly, such as "bubye mama" "hi daddy" "night night guys" "hi guys" "uh-oh" "no no, uh uh" and "oh-my-ga!" (No seriously, he says it all the time and I have no idea where he learned that... because I don't think I ever really say "OMG"... who knows.)  The individual words he says are pretty simple too such as ball, dog, car, truck, dirty, etc... he will randomly say a big word really clearly but then never repeat it again as if he stumbled across it on accident.

When Jace was younger a few people had mentioned to me that they didn't really enjoy their children until they were 18 months old.  At the time I thought that was weird thing to say, but now I think I understand what they were trying to get at... the first 18 months are filled with cuteness and cuddles and big changes but the day to day stuff still feels pretty monotonous at times, and for the most part it's the parent constantly entertaining the child.  Once kids hit this age, it sort of flips and all of a sudden the child is the one doing all the entertaining.  They're truly just little people that say and do the funniest most random things that remind you that they have their very own personality and heart.  Just last night Jace was talking to Tate on speakerphone while he was working, and at the end of the conversation he said "night night daddy" and leaned down and kissed the phone.  So stinkin cute!  There is always something sweet and fun and new that he's doing every day that makes this stage so much fun.

At 18 months Jace loves: playing with other kids, playground equiptment, golf, kick ball, basketball, his play kitchen, elephants, elmo, Nick Jr, climbing on mama, scolding himself as he does something naughty, sitting on little chairs, bubbles, cottage cheese, brushing his teeth, putting lotion on his dry feet, climbing onto mommy and daddys bed and messing up the pillows, toilets, waving at strangers, juice boxes, the beach, going for walks in the stroller, hearing his voice at full volume in public places...

Jace has become a pro at eating with utensils lately, it's like one day he just decided he didn't want to make messes with spoons and forks anymore.  That one took a long time, but I'm glad we're finally over the "fingers in the oatmeal and now in the hair and everywhere" stage.  Jace has also become a pro at bedtime.  He loves to pick up his bedroom each night and puts his books back on the shelf and the balls back in his ball pit and the toys back in the box all on his own.  Then he'll lay himself on the floor to make changing him and putting on lotion easier.  Then we'll simply turn off the light and turn on his sound machine and set him in bed.  Everynight he lays there and waves to me and says "bubye mama!"  "night night mama!"  "bubye!" until I shut the door and then he rolls over and goes straight to sleep.

Although 18 months is a ton of fun we're still working on a few things.  We still have problems with screaming and squealing at stores and restaurants.  A new problem that's just started is Jace mocking us when we tell him no and doing it anyways.  For example, he will start to lift his food to throw it and we'll say a firm "NO!" and then he will yell "no-no!" as he chucks it across the room and then starts laughing at himself.  Have I mentioned the kid has an arm on him?  Because he definitely does.  Hopefully someday he'll turn into a professional pitcher and buy his parents a nice big house on the ocean where we'll sit outside each morning sipping coffee and saying "Remember when Jace used to chuck full bananas at us in the kitchen every morning?  Ah, the good ol' days!"

Jace loves Clifford :)

Jace riding forward facing for the first and only time in Eunjee's car. 
Because I'm a mama-razzi I had to take a picture, haha!

Picking/eating Strawberries at Charpia Farms


Jace and Autumn with their baskets of strawberries at Charpia Farms.

Jace's new play kitchen... found for $1.06 at Goodwill.  Tate is thrilled
about his little boy pretend baking ;)

Noisy Oyster in his first pair of stunna shades

First life jacket swim suit and some super cool foot
tan lines thanks to his mama's lack of sunscreen skills.

Chisled beach bod??  ;)

1 comment:

Ella said...

That last picture is hilarious!!! Wow, what a big boy he's become. I know what you mean about the 18 month mark - they are so fun and playful and becoming more independent.

And I just have to ask HOW you guys got him to love his bedtime routine like that?? He just rolls over and goes to sleep on his own??? I am so impressed (and very very jealous!!!!)!